Translate

3/12/2007

Read It -- You Don't Have to Cook It!

In her small kitchen, a 29-year-old woman faces 30 by challenging herself to cook all the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child in one year! That is 524 recipes in 365 days! The love-hate project inspires colorful writing. She admits to talking like a sailor (Her analogy not mine. Apologies to anyone related to or serving as a sailor.)---and she does! Tired of working as a temp and taking on a secretarial job that she seems to disdain (Sorry to all secretaries!), this writer's no-holds-barred style left me wishing that she would have held a few bars! I had to skip right over some of her grossly detailed descriptions of preparing some unusual foods. I admit it---I'm a girly-old girl!! All in all, her writing is hilarious, engaging, and a fun read! Interest in cooking is optional. This humorous book stands on its own.


My idea of a "Happy Meal" is any meal I don't have to cook.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed this book. I have it on reserve with my library. (After I noticed you reading it, I saw other knit bloggers reading it, too.)

Trillian42 said...

I read this last year on the recommendation of a friend, and really enjoyed it.

I have to say though, that after the third or fourth "read the WHOLE recipe before you start in case you need to plan for time" disaster, I wanted to slap her a little. :)

Debra said...

One of the best parts of this story: the book started as her blog!! Once again the power of the blog to change one's life!

If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend Linda Ellerbee's Take Big Bites.