Translate

2/25/2007

Birthdayness


Decades ago when I was a senior in high school, my boyfriend and I sadly decided to break up because he was going to an out-of-state university while I was going to study in-state. It was at the beginning of February which is the birthday month for each of us. Difficult though it was, I dutifully (well, maybe angrily), cut up his pictures, tossed them in the trash, and tried to move on. High school is such drama! On my birthday two weeks later, the florist delivered an enormous bouquet of brilliant red roses with a note that read "As long as I love you, there will be roses on your birthday." The roses have arrived this year. BF is my much loved DH. And, while life is not always a bed of roses, the roses have arrived every year for my birthday--even through thorny years---the roses kept coming. His birthday? It's the day after mine.

Happy birthday to everyone who celebrates in February.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
---Elizabeth Barrett Browning

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I have to tell you that when I read about the roses arriving each year, I first thought "What does her husband think about that?" :)

Happy birthday from a fellow alumnus! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is the sweetest story! And happy birthday.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Aww, how sweet! Happy birthday!

Pooch said...

Thank you-thank you for the birthday wishes!!

:)