Translate

12/12/2006

Queenan Country

So, should I knit more of this scarf to make a complete garland?
Nah....it's a not-red scarf for the Red Scarf Project. (Click the button at the right.) I knit this one with a size 50 and a size 17 needle and Light-n-Lofty yarn so it's loose and squishy. At 7.5 feet, it's perfect for wrapping around your neck in cold-cold weather. I hope a young college student will be blessed with its warmth.




Meanwhile, there are a few decorations around the house ...

DH and I bought the hand carved trees during our trip to Redwood National Forest in northern California. I would love to make a return trip to the absolutely breath-taking trees and vegetation in that area. The statues were made by our children in VBS.






Several of these stars in a variety of sizes are hung throughout the house. This is a small star. It is made of metal with a bell clapper, and does it make noise!





This stylized red tree has tiny jewel-tone balls to decorate it that are not visible in this picture. The compote dish is filled with red and gold glass ball garlands with a few candy canes poked into it.


One of our little trees is the "bird tree" and wears birds in assorted styles. I knitted the red bird at the left during the 80s. At the lower right, you can see a blown glass bird from Germany with a feather tale.




Another tree is the snow and icicle tree--bright and sparkling with snowflakes and icicles of many differing styles.











There has been only one Christmas - the rest are anniversaries. ---W.J. Cameron

I finished reading Queenan Country by Joe Queenan. The subtitle is "A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country". This man knows England and writes about it in a clever humorous tour de force. I must say that there was a certain whoosh! right over my head factor here since I don't know enough about some of his references to understand the wit that is at play. So, I skipped over the parts I didn't get and went directly to reading where I could laugh, chuckle and enjoy the humor. My favorite chapter is "No Mersey" wherein the author describes following the trail of the Beatles. If you don't read anything else in this book, go directly to this chapter! And, of course, it is Queenan's love of England and his English wife that allows him to poke fun at the country and its inhabitants in hilarious, good fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice decorations, Pooch! I'd love to see the redwoods some day. I imagine they are fabulous!

Teena in Toronto said...

Hi! I'm here via Blog Fodder!

Nice decorations! I'm kind of a bah humbug chick. Ha!