Translate

1/20/2012

Book Beginnings & Fiber Finishing


How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.
This lovely book has been resting in my book shelves for several years. After a recent diet of mysteries and thrillers, I yearned for a change in genre and reached for Amy Tan, marvelous writer that she is. She wrote this book as a tribute to her mother and their sometimes tumultuous relationship.

Page 7: "Soon after my first book was published, I found myself often confronted with the subject of my mortality. I remember being asked by a young woman what I did for a living. "I'm an author," I said with proud new authority.
"A contemporary author?" she wanted to know."

 I enjoy her magical story telling, intelligence and wit, which are quite evident in these opening sentences. Her fascinating bio is here.

* * * * *
::knit::knit::knit::knit::knit::


The baby blanket for niece's little one is finished! Voila!
How long will I procrastinate getting it wrapped and mailed? I don't know!

http://plumslife.blogspot.com
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Eva said...

Good beginning. It's been a long time since I've read anything by Amy Tan, too long maybe. Enjoy.

Spinster Beth said...

What a pretty blanket! I love colorful baby blankets.

WonderWhyGal said...

That baby blanket is adorable. If you get a chance, read The Opposite of Fate or get the audio version. It's an amazing book by and about Amy Tan. I read it a few years ago. I am currently re-listening to The Fellowship of the Ring on audio while working in my fiber studio and reading Spin Art by Jacey Boggs while anywhere else.

Crochet Addict UK said...

The baby blanket looks fantastic

AllyB said...

The recipient of your blanket will be getting a very cheerful gift. I like the colors that you chose. I haven't seen that Amy Tan book, I've been downloading books from Audible so long that I rarely see a book cover anymore. I'll be sure to check that one out. I enjoy her writing, thanks for the tip.

Cathy said...

I love the baby blanket and the bright colorful yarn. Amy Tan is one of my favorite authors, although it has been awhile since I have read one of her books. This one sounds really interesting. Have a great week.

Cathy

Beth said...

Great blanket!