Translate

8/07/2010

On Retirement


Quite honestly, it took me a few years to adjust to retirement from my 32 years in education. I had to focus on what I truly wanted to do each day. What do I feel like doing? It was a challenging adjustment. I truly miss the children and avoided driving by a school during the school year. Strange, yes? It was a process of giving myself permission to "indulge" my whims. If I feel like knitting and reading all afternoon, its truly OK to do that. I had to think of it differently, as not being an indulgence, not taking time away from something more important. Initially, I had to think in terms of "I've earned this." You see, I still was trying to validate this shift in how I spent my time. I don't have to be busy-busy-busy. Its OK to do the things I enjoy and not necessarily follow the "retirement guidelines" such as volunteer, keep a schedule, etc. Many of my friends do those things and find it completely fulfilling. I realized I wanted to completely shift out of structure, thus realizing my newly acquired sense of freedom. Freedom became my perspective on retirement, however it took me a while to get there. Each of is as unique in this life change as we are in many other ways. During the '70s, I began to use the "Free To Be You and Me" album from Marlo Thomas to help children build self-esteem. I haven't thought of it in decades until I heard it on a commercial the other day. Time warp! I realized that phrase has an entirely new meaning for me at this stage of life!!

Blog Tip of the Day
http://www.biblegateway.com/
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.   ~ Psalm 118:24

No comments: