Translate

9/14/2008

Snake Skin Knitting

Some knitting projects take hold and develop a life of their own with assorted groups of knitters. For example, it seemed that almost everyone had an insatiable desire to create a clapotis, or sock-socks-socks, possibly fingerless mitts. Such is the popularity of knitting snakes which, of course, begins with knitting snake skins. At least it is at Casa Pooch! This was precipitated by a sweet request by 4-yr-old DGD to make "anunner" scarf for her. "And please make one for my brudder too?" So, I inquired of 3-yr-old DGS, "What would you like me to make for you?" Without hesitation, he replied, "A snake!" Of course, what else could it be?? Now I had made a snake for their father, my son, and my second son when they were little boys. It was royal blue crochet with lots of embroidery. My sons played with it for many years. Sadly, I tossed it out about three years ago. How I wish I had kept it!



The Banded Stash Snake began to slither from my needles. What fun to grab colors and decide on assorted textures in stockinette, garter, and moss stitches. (Note: None of these snake skins have received their heads yet.) Noticing my merry knitting over Labor Day weekend, 6-yr-old DGS said, "Whatcha makin'?" When I told him about the snake for 3-yr-old, he smirked. His eyes sparkled. "Would you like one?" I asked. "Cool! That's SO cool!" His brother 9-yr-old DGS lurking nearby piped up with, "Can I have one too?" Now this kid is a lurker, always over-hearing this 'n' that. And I am so glad--at least this time--as I said, "Sure!" because I feel so blessed that my little grands actually want me to make things for them! These are joy-filled projects for my little ones.





Below is the Banded Crayon Snake because it reminds me of Crayolas tumbling out of the box. The pattern, "Kid's Snake", is at http://www.craftbits.com/ I'm using worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles.
Lastly, we have the Banded Tweed Snake because, well, tweed yarn! This is still on the needles.





I'm having fun with knitting different types of bands for the color changes. You know, by the time you get to the third one, a little variety helps!



Next comes the taxidermy. That's the part where I stuff them with poly fiber fill! Of course, I've got to make the heads first, then add eyes and tongues. This has become a reptilian delight!


.......................................................
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
~~Ps 90:14

No comments: