Translate

6/21/2007

Escape to Asilomar


Camp Stitches was in the beautiful, natural setting of Asilomar Resort in Monterey, CA. Nature embraced us, wildlife mingled with us, and the fresh sweet-smelling air soothed us as we knitted, laughed, and listened to fantastic instructors. This view shows an access road and a path leading to a building.


This view from the porch of the lodge illustrates the natural setting where the buildings blend beautifully with the work of God's hand.

Still on the porch and looking to the left one sees the dining hall where three executive chefs oversee the most delicious meals! I never expected that level of tasty, artful, and varied meals at a resort camp! No slapped-together sandwiches here!! :)




The meandering boardwalk leads to the beach of silky sand shown in yesterday's post.



With admirable skill and knowledge as well as a good portion of patience, Gwen Bortner taught the entrelac class that I took for three mornings. Can we all say CHALLENGE??!! The light interferes with a good sighting of Ted who is the model for her first creation of her designs. Something about squaring numbers, adding, subtracting, square root--you know, all the number stuff. Numbers! Yikes! However, since I'm not into designing, the numbers slid right off me---well, practically drowned me but I survived! If you ever have an opportunity to take a class with Gwen---sign right up! She is nothing short of superior! You can check out her sites http://www.knitability.com/ and http://tankhouse.knitability.com/prof_gwen.html



Back at home on our deck, my itty-bitty start for an entrelac felted scarf will wait until cooler weather for any more knitting! (Though not necessarily on the deck table!) You have NO IDEA how challenging this has been for me!! I have been knitting for many-many-many years and --WOW--do I ever have to concentrate on this!! It is mindless knitting for Gwen, but it boggles my mind! I downloaded this pattern and tutorial for the scarf at http://knittyotter.typepad.com/otterknits/patterns/index.html

My only yarn purchase! It's Rowan Summer Tweed and is 70% silk and 30% cotton. Do I love it? Yes, I do! My plan is to make this vest http://www.oatcouture.com/patternpages/401entrelacvest.html without the points. I want it to be straight across the front, bottom edge.




This yarn will be dreamy to work with---not McDreamy, but dreamy nonetheless.
::::::::::::::::::::

Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean.

---Christopher Reeve

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you learned a lot! Your new yearn is very, very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Oh you lucky duck! I am so glad that you had a nice time. I would love to spend a week at "knit camp".

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great time. And your scarf will be gorgeous...I love entrelac.