Translate

6/11/2013

The Good House

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/
  This is the first paragraph from The Good House by Ann Leary:
I can walk through a house once and know more about its occupants than psychiatrist could after a year of sessions. I remember joking about this one evening with Peter Newbold, the shrink who rents the office upstairs from mine. 
: : : : : 

The Good HouseThe Good House by Ann Leary
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an absorbing story of salvaging the broken in its many forms, a horse, a house, a boat, a person. Enthralling subplots mesh together in this story of purpose and value and humanity as a realtor conducts her business in a small town on the Massachusetts coast. Her retinue of clients, family, and long-time friends populate a story about facing harsh realities, then learning to cope and move on. It is a quiet celebration of humanity that leaves the reader with a hopeful spirit.

This is an engrossing story, well-crafted, and absolutely engaging.

View all my reviews

6 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this book, too, Pooch...I love anything that builds a story around houses or homes. They are so symbolic of what is important in our lives.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Nise' said...

I've got this book on my TBR list so I'd keep reading.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Love the intro and loved the book as well.enjoy and thanks for joining us this week.

kayerj said...

interesting concept, I think the author might be right. Enjoy your book and thanks for stopping by.

Carol said...

I hate to think what someone would know about me from my house. It makes me want to do the dishes.

Anonymous said...

haven't heard of this book but the teaser is interesting

my teaser tuesday
http://wp.me/p3v5T1-54