Translate

5/08/2012

In Too Deep by Jayne Ann Krentz

In Too Deep (Looking Glass Trilogy, #1; Arcane Society, #10)In Too Deep by Jayne Ann Krentz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In reading my first paranormal novel, I found an engaging story line featuring Isabela Valdez seeking a safe place to live in Scargill Cove. Powers and talents and fogs draw the reader into the world of nexus energy. Populated with cleverly drawn characters, the story moves with energy and mystery.

There is a certain silliness to it all as parallels to the real world have with clever descriptions and adaptations for this genre. I found myself smiling as I came across "para-" words: parapsychology, paraweapons, parahypnotist. When the protagonist shouted "Oh crap!" I expected her to say "paracrap".

However,there are a couple of glitches for me. Although this author has written many books,this story could have been more skillfully rendered in the hands of a more able author. The plot line is advanced all too often through dialog. So it seems like a character speaks with explain, explain, explain. Then another character fine tunes with a bit more explanation. Someone poses a question and explanation ensues via dialog. It was quite distracting because the dialog seemed too contrived.

I skipped through the sex scenes though some readers enjoy that bit of detail. So, maybe one sex scene, but layering gratuitous repetition seems unnecessary.

Overall, it was a good story, heavy on drama and romance.

View all my reviews

No comments: